What is truth? What is the right religion or the path to everlasting life? When I die, will I make it into the Kingdom of God or will I be surprised that I have been deceived. In Jesus days, this question was also asked by many. Religious leader built traditions and opposed any that believed differently.
1. Approaching God (John 3:1-19)
· Men, generation after generation has been seeking answers from God about eternal life, Nicodemus.
· He came by night – implies that he came at a time where he was not seen by others, purposely.
· We are hungry for God but hide our true feelings from the world, friends and strangers alike.
a. When was the last time you acknowledge your service to god?
b. What you believe is truth, sinner and saint alike we hunger but keep from the fountain for fear of man.
c. We work against the carnal man anytime we approach the Kingdom of Heaven. ( John 3:11-12)
d. We are always looking for miracles and not the truth of the Gospel.
i. Expound on religious traditions such as the Philippines crucifixion ceremonies.
e. Jesus rebukes Nicodemus saying I have told you earthly things and you do not understand but now you want me to reveal heavenly things. You want to fly before you know how to crawl?
f. Nicodemus back to the basics – repentance. (Matt 11:28-30)
· The good thing is that Jesus receives us at night or at the place, you are.
· He does not reject our approaches to him and is ready to offer salvation at anytime
· The question is you willing to be humbled into accepting the truth in God’s word and timing.
2. Understanding Spiritual opportunities
· Regardless of the time Nicodemus approached Jesus, he offered him eternal life.
· You must be born again
o Jesus knew Nicodemus background and confronted his lifestyle and religious upbringing.
o Time to get serious, are you hear to be humbled and receive salvation or will you hide in darkness.
1. (Jn:14:6) When you come to terms and approach God he will give you an answer, be born again
o Before understanding come, you must come to terms with your sin, regardless of your stature.
o (2Cor 6:2) & (Rev. 3:20) - Every man stands high in himself and must be humbled regardless of wealth, popularity or ambition.
o God offers you a space to accept his word and receive his eternal sacrifice, the time is now.
3. Decision, terms and condition
We all have one thing in common with Nicodemus and that is our search has brought to the presence of God, which is why you are here today. (John 6:44) God has appointed this time.
· Will you receive his witness, which is Jesus wants you to repent and be born again. (elaborate)
· It is no secret before you can understand everlasting life you must be born of the spirit, this is the term.
· The decision is yours to make not God’s; he has brought you to a place of truth.
· The condition is humility, faith and obedience to your audience with God.
· Vs. 19 – Only you can keep yourself from your search and that is to know God, the answer to life.
1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
2 Cor 6:2
2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.