In the garden an account took place in which at first sight we believe that Cain was rejected by God. This was not the case God instructed Cain on the proper form of worship required to please the maker of heaven and earth. We view God as one that is moved by sacrifices of the flesh instead of a God of counsel and direction as Cain did.
1. Wisdom and Faith (Phil 2:12-30)
· Salvation is unmerited mercy given to us by God's, Jesus dying on the cross was the price paid in full
· We understand this as believers and are justified by God's word and sacrifice on Calvary (John 3:16-19)
· We need to understand that it is a free gift from God and nothing we could ever do for God would give us a place in heaven, expound
I. (Eph. 2:8-10) Not of works but in Phil we are commanded to work out our own salvation, a contradiction, no
ii. Even though salvation if free we have to maintain it by the works that we do, expound
iii. Just because you repented one time does not mean that your service stops there, it is a lifestyle of repentance, or a work out (Heb. 10:23-25)
iv. God commands us to labor for his kingdom, this means all areas of life and service to God
v. Contending in pray, worship, service, follow up, mercy, grace, forgiveness, sacrifice this list goes on and on
vi. (Matt 25:1-13) Consider the ten virgins - this illustrates what can happen to those that are foolish and do not maintain service unto God
· Our generation is still practicing this type of service to God, Christian in name only but not in works
· You can not separate the two they go hand in hand
· (Gal 3:1-6) Many people try to use the bible to justify their sins but the Word is clear
· This follows carnal laws in place like water and food, you just don't eat and drink ounce and are fill, correct!
· This generation seeks after nutrition and physical fitness and to those that are serious they understand that it is a daily discipline
* Some victories must have a lifestyle of contention, Jesus address faithlessness in seeking God first (Matt 17:14-21)
2. Obedience and Vision ( vs. 14)
· God calls us to right attitude, a trait lost in this present age
· In order to accomplish spiritual muscles the focus must be taken off self interest and unto God Kingdom
· To many times we begin in the spirit by end up in the flesh, (I Sam 10:19-24)
- Saul's life is a classic example of the long run and what is spoken by in scripture he started out humble
- Satan himself at one time had the right idea service to God but then came the rebellion and we know the story
- We as believers in Christ must have Godly mindset of master - Lord relationship
- (I Cor. 6:9-14) Liberty is wonderfully but we must always understand that it is your duty to obey the laws of God this will never change
- The danger we face is that as we grow older and wiser in the Lord we begin to take things for granted
- We understand his grace and walk in confidence this is not a bad thing but can lead to a dangerous philosophy of compromise
- Rev. Wright, Barak Obama pastor, is an example of this he preaches hate in his pulpit and raises the issue that this is the black church
- There is no such thing as a black church in Christianity it is and always will be God's church
- How can one justify hatred? Because man does not have a godly attitude and is lifted in pride with murmurings of sin for a season
- (Matt 18:1-5) The greatest in the kingdom - Jesus say are those that come as a child
- Those that are in need and come to God for direction and comfort and desire the protection of God, need for Jesus in their lives
- What is God trying to teach us that the issue is not the greatest but the family of God, father and his sons and daughters
- We serve God because he is our father and as you respect your earthly father so must you respect your heavenly father
- Small children love their parents, kisses and hugs and hanging on their legs, carry me, tickle me etc.
- The simple thing things in life, yes we do grow up but we must maintain the child relationship of loving God, never to old to love God
- Sometimes we must put down our defenses and just love God as a child, this is godly attitude he seeks
3. Calling (vs. 16)
· The end result of this story is the joy we will have when we enter eternity
Our efforts is the long run or the end of the story
The children of Israel did not enter the promise land because of their mindset of rebellion and disobedience
Example after example in scripture of those you fell by the way - Judas, Korah, Saul, Demas, Samson
Their is no joy in this but great sorrow, lost sinner do not please God, he is the God of the living not the dead
Paul envisions this that at the end of the day he will count the cost of those who will miss God and those who will win
Paul's desire is that he can give a good report and this is the desire of all men of God, that none will be lost
In order for us to be saved we must take all this into consideration
It is a joy to men of God when we see people strive to the Kingdom, faithfulness, witness, prayer etc.
This are signs of a healthy church with a strong possibility of salvation
Heaven is a privilege and given to those who endure
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.